My advice is to accept uni, and immediately defer for a year while you finish TAFE and work. Make a decision about going to uni this time next year when you've got a year of study under your belt. You'd be able to get recognition of prior learning for some of your TAFE stuff at uni too, so you won't have to repeat everything.


This. Not overly familiar with the psychology courses at uni, but in general, you should be able to get some credit for x amount of 1st year classes with your TAFE studies.


I would check with the uni first to confirm the units would be credited.


You said it yourself that you are already struggling with TAFE while working. Knowing that, your plan is to double down on the situation while *paying* for the privilege? Just pick TAFE or uni for the next year, don't do both.


Guaranteed to burn out.


Former TAFE teacher here. I haven’t taught in the cert IV mental health specifically but I did teach related courses with some shared units. Only you known your capacity but for 99% of people it would not realistically be possible to do both a TAFE and uni course at the same time. And even where it is technically possible you wouldn’t have time for work, friends, family or any other aspect of life. I’ve seen students try this and it never worked out for them. TAFE may not require the academic level of writing that uni does but there is nothing simple or easy regarding the intellectual content you are required to learn and the assessment workload can be intense. That MH course involves a lot of role plays as well. People enrolling in the course are rarely prepared for just how emotionally confronting the course can be (far more so than uni courses in related fields) The other points your friends raised about TAFE are all valid and really worth considering.


You're not asking about TAFE and uni, you're asking TAFE _and_ uni _and_ work. I think you're over reaching to try that route to be honest. I am pretty sure you can do the mental health cert online at your own pace (unless I've got it mixed up 🤔) I think it's also free in '23 so that's handy. If you have the self discipline to do that then that might be a less stressful year for you. Part time study, part time work, recover from ATAR. What do you want to do with the psych degree? If you want to go into clin psych (ie counselling and diagnosing people), you need the bachelors, honours and masters. *I do not want to discourage you at all*, just checking that you're prepared for the 6 years of study and competitiveness necessary to get there before you invest time and money into it. It's not so competitive now but pre-covid, I had friends that had to go interstate to get into Master's programs because it was that competitive. It's not like that now, but with international students returning this year I imagine by the time you're ready it might be back to those levels. Have you considered a bachelor of social work? That's what I've got and I highly recommend it. A 3 year psych degree prepares you for research and you start practicing counselling type skills in your Master's. Social work has two semesters of full time prac in the field. There are more career outcomes for social work than undergrad psych and the pay rate is the same. You can do further training and become a Mental Health social worker if you want to, but my bachelor's units included psychology, psychiatry, mental health and counselling.


Both TAFE and Uni can be intense, I would pick one and concentrate on that.


depending on the course TAFE could be better for you


Tafe can be doable while working, so can uni, but not both in tandem. That's a sure-fire way to burn yourself out and end up dropping out of both. Pick one and stick to it, you'll be less stressed and far less likely to burn out and thus, drop out.


Some of the TAFE courses take quiet a bit off a uni degree with no hex. As others have said one or the other, although if you can enter the course you want now at uni do the course you want. Otherwise do what you need to do to get into that course.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icarus You will crash and burn.


If you don't tell tafe you're dropping out before the census not only do you need to pay for the entire course but you'll also have a failed record on your profile, same goes for uni. Tell tafe you're out Also if you're going to uni to study psychology you're gonna have a hard time getting work There was a post on reddit im sure either on the centerlink or Australia reddit someone (a psychology student past or present) posted something about actual statistical job prospects with just a bachelor as well as clinical. (Ps it wasn't good) If I were you I'd consider social work which has far better job prospects


No, it sounds like a terrible idea.


If your goal is to become a psychologist then I would suggest you go to university and don’t worry about tafe. The programs are interesting, but also challenging and grades will be important if you want to stay competitive for future masters programs. I worry you would burn out managing a tafe caseload too - something’s gotta give. My suggestion would be to get a job as a disability or other similar support worker. It’s the best place to learn skills in supporting people, and understanding some challenging behaviors. I’m a psychologist and am always impressed with the skill set of support workers when they enter as a graduate psychologist.


I teach at a Perth university. Students who juggle studying and other commitments like work always find it difficult. A challenge you are likely to encounter is that university and TAFE classes may conflict with each other during the week.


You'll quickly realise how little fast-tracking to the extreme benefits you in the long run. It's much better to actually finish your qualifications and eventually get a good job, even if it's delayed 1-2 years, as opposed to burning out and being stuck waffling in uni for 10 years bouncing between useless degrees.


Drop tafe Stick to Uni. You are still young and have plenty of time to experience.


I don't think you can use TAFE as a credit for psychology at university. TAFE is considered a level 4 and undergrad is level 7. TAFE is good because you'll get opportunities for hands on experience, might even lead into a job if you're looking to start working asap. To become a registered working psychologist, it takes minimum of 6 years (3 years undergrad, 1 year honours, 2 years masters). Or, you can do a grad cert of psychology, grad diploma of psychology, and then grad diploma of psychology advanced, but you'll need 5 years work experience in a similar field or have competed an undergrad degree in anything. It's a lot but I hope this helps. Edit. The diploma courses are offered through universities and aren't covered by HECS but there's another loan thing I forget the name of. Also, WA government is offering "free23" for TAFE courses so that course you got in for TAFE should be free or half the cost.


Flick take and go to uni. If uni dios not pan out go back to take and any uni units you have done maynvery well translate into exemptions.


Don't go Uni, don't get yourself in huge debt at young age, work for 2 years save up then go study. Or have 96k debt at 24 like my mate who completed 2 majors. When you have student debt, you get lower chance of loan, for house, car. Save up cash then go back to study.